Mr. PenPal was excited to spend a few days in New York getting to know the other organizations committing to create positive change on a global scale. We met leaders from the following great organizations:
- READ Global is building community library and resource centers across rural Asia.
- The Africa Assistance Project is increasing access to quality public education for girls in East Africa
- Dasra is working with philanthropists and social entrepreneurs to bring about social change in India.
- Lions Club International is empowering the next generation and serving the unique needs of local communities.
- Capella Education is serving adult learners and developing high quality, professionally-aligned online programs.
- Atlas Corps is bringing together nonprofit leaders from around the world to promote innovation and cooperation.
- Communiversity of South Africa is supporting the creativity and intelligence of South African youth.
- Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) is building vibrant, gender equitable communities in Kenya.
- The Abundance Foundation is partnering with visionaries around the world who turn scarcity into abundance.
- The British Council is creating long-term relationships with the UK that provide cultural, diplomatic and economic benefits.
- BYKids is pairing master filmmakers with youth to create short documentaries that educate Americans about globally relevant issues.
Being surrounded by wonderful people doing meaningful, important work was incredibly inspiring. “It was exciting it was to be surrounded by people taking innovative approaches to solve pressing global challenges,” says Joe “We’re looking forward to collaborating with some of them on our commitment.”Joe also got to meet a personal hero, basketball legend Dikembe Mutombo! The Dikembe Mutombo Foundation is improving health, education, and quality of life for the people of his native Democratic Republic of Congo.As the event came to a close Joe was also grateful to be able to hear Chelsea Clinton and President Bill Clinton’s rousing closing plenary.